Thursday, July 31, 2008

EarthQUAKE!

I almost forgot that we got to experience a real live big earthquake! (I can be excited about this because no one got hurt). At 11:42 am I awoke from a nap because I was shaking and when I looked at our closet doors which are sliding mirrors they looked like those warping mirrors. I sat up fast and grabbed Avery out of her crib. I could hear my neighbors yell "EVACUATE!" which I thought might not be such a bad idea since we live on the second floor, but by the time I got to my door it was over. It was so exciting! But it made me realize how unprepared I am when it comes to emergencies like that. I have only felt one other earthquake but that was in Greece and it was teeny and lasted like 2 seconds. I was also sleeping that time and woke up because I thought someone was shaking my bed to wake me up (I was skipping morning warm ups because my race was through and I was being lazy). This California one was WAY better hitting a 5.4! Some of Michael's coworkers were mad at him because we have lived here for only 3 months and felt a good earthquake and they have been here there whole lives and haven't because they were driving when the earthquake hit and didn't feel a thing. I am just glad that we weren't here for "The Big One" that they keep talking about (knock on wood... we only have a month left).

6 comments:

The Happy Haynie Family said...

I felt one when we lived in San Diego. It lasted about 5 seconds and I was sewing at the time and wondered why the sewing machine was shaking the whole house!! I am glad that you are okay. I think I am kinda glad that you more than likely won't be living in California too long.

Unknown said...

WOW! That is pretty scary! I totally empathize about how you feel when you have someone dependent on you for their protection!
You will have to let me tell you about the one that I was there for....it was a 6.7 one that hit Northridge in January of 1994. It totally freaked me out! We felt the aftershocks for days and days afterwards. I was just there visiting because my sister-in-law had her baby prematurely and needed help...
Love you,
Auntie Linda

Lacey Freeman said...

I got kind of freaked out when we couldn't get a hold of you or Mike, but glad you guys are all okay!

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

I'm glad you guys are all OK!!!! Scarey! But, hey, it makes a good story! ;)

Beth said...

Glad it wasn't the "big one"... You need to move to HSV or Madison... we miss you bad!

abby said...

i would FREAK!!