Sunday, February 10, 2008

One Year and Still Going Strong

WHOOP WHOOP!!Today we "celebrated" our 1 year anniversary! It is crazy to think of what was going on a year ago. I definitely did not think that I would be were we are today. Wymount... not too surprising, still madly in love... that's a given, graduated... finally, a 2 month old baby... SURPRISE! It has definitely been a year full of events but who better to experience it with than Michael, my best friend and the boy who melts my heart. This year has gone by in a flash, but like they say, time flies when you are having fun.
Now back to my "celebration". Sunday is not really a day you can go out and celebrate and so we had planned to party hardy on Saturday. Well since we are poor we couldn't go to a day spa like I had wanted or have Michael buy me jewelry and me buy him an ipod or spend a night in a luxurious hotel or go back to Hawaii... all just dreams. Mike was in charge of our 6 month so I had to plan our 1 year. I decided to stay within our budget and planned on going to the temple, out for lunch, and run some much needed errands while Ashley and Lauren (my old roomies) watched sweet Avery, then we were going to come home watch a movie and veg like couch potatoes.
But one of Michael's friends came in from out of town with wife and kid in tow long with another friend. They needed a place to stay and so we of course couldn't leave them stranded. What better way to celebrate than with friends, right? They came Friday night so we ended up not going to the temple and Michael went skiing with the boys, I ran errands with the girls and we all went out for dinner that night. Today we woke up and prepared breakfast and lunch ate with all our buds and then went to church. They left while we were at church so when we came home our little family took a nice cat nap. Kiara came over to visit and then Ashley and a friend came over to play Blokus, a new love of mine. So we didn't do anything to special or really "celebrate" but we had a great weekend. I also decided that a whole year of love deserves more than just a day of celebration so this coming week, everyday, Mike and I will find some way to remember our special day. Hopefully, the ideas will start flowing....
I do have to day that a year ago I didn't know for sure if I was making the right decision. I didn't know for sure that Michael was the person that I should marry and the boy who would make me happy for the rest of my life. But this year has proven to me that I made the right decision. Michael is the most patient, understanding, loving person that I have ever known. I am not an easy person to get along with, but as Lindsi said at Christmas 2006, "Michael is a Christmas miracle... who else would have married Carly." And it is true, Michael and I fit together like peanut butter and jelly. He is the peanut butter that sticks us together, peanut butter is also the best part of the sandwich. I am the jelly that is slippy and a little bit of jelly goes a really long way. If you have to much jelly it bruises the sandwich. Thanks to My Michael we make a pretty tasty sandwich. Just the right combination of everything.
I would make a list of all the reasons that I love Michael but it all comes down to the fact that a lot of times he knows me better than I know myself and when he doesn't he tries to understand. He doesn't ask why I am like I am or try to criticize me, but constantly is making me better. Anyone who knows Michael knows why I love him. Somehow I became lucky enough to marry him.

7 comments:

danakat said...

That was perfect.
I love your PB&J analogy.
Can I borrow it?
Now I feel like if I don't get to hug my honey soon, I might cry.

Happy Anniversary!
You are two beautiful people who deserve a beautiful life.

Birdie said...

Awwwwww! Happy Anniversary!! You guys are so cute. You make a beautiful couple!

Cari said...

That was so cute! I never stop being amazed at how much Heavenly Father can bless us in such a short amount of time.

Congrats on your anniversary. Each year gets harder and better!

Beth said...

Loved the analogy! Congrats on a year! Lets see if you can top this past year with excitement! Haha!

mrbob said...

Wow, how time does fly. Congratulations! I loved your photos and I would have never guessed you'd be the jelly! LOL! You have a beautiful family. Just never take anything for granted and remember . ."everyday is a good day...just some are better than others" :)

Lisha said...

What a wonderful post, I love you and Michael and are glad you two are together!

Debbie said...

So sweet! Happy belated Anniversary! Jared and I didn't get to "celebrate" much for our one year anniversary either. Taylor was born just three days before. It's really hard when we're young and poor, too, so I feel your pain. Just remember that it will get better, and hopefully, in the future, you will truly get to "celebrate" the way you want!