Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A long time ago...

Grandma invited me over to her house to learn how to can peaches. I was pretty sure that canning was not for me but I can't believe how easy it is(at least with Gma there). This is after we boiled, skinned, pitted, and cut up the peaches. Then we added sugar water in the jars to the top.
We cooked them in the steamer... can you see the steam coming out of the side?

Grandma was the brave one that lifted the jars to cool and seal on the counter.


And here are the peaches we beautifully canned that day! I came home with like two dozen jars and we have already eaten half. Avery LOVES them and so do Michael and I. Thanks Grandma!

4 comments:

Lacey Freeman said...

How fun and yummy! We went and picked tons of peaches a while ago but never had the things to can with because mom got rid of it all when we moved. =( I love grandma..she is so fun! I think she has worn that shirt for as long as I can remember!!

The Happy Haynie Family said...

I used to help Grandma do the canning. She liked me to help because I could slip my whole hand into the bottle and make sure that all of the fruit got stacked just right!

Beth said...

Canning is a lot of fun! We have been canning pears, beans, and such lately. In a few weeks we are canning soup.

Lisha said...

Canning is fun, huh?!!