Monday, August 10, 2009

Why Haven't I Blogged?

We moved. We are in a new place and are finally settled in (okay we've been settled for a while), but here are some of the things we have done. I'll give one reason per post.

Reason 1:
I'm a gardener. Yep I have the greenest thumb around. And this is my cute little gardening partner. She makes sure that the plants are strong and able to withstand ANYTHING.
Here is our first little tomato. First vegetable actually. These pictures were taken a week or so ago (I had good intentions) and now we have six of these little guys. And the little guy below is not as little anymore.

Here is the back view of the garden. See the little baby strawberry plant between the stones. Hang in there little strawberry... you can do it.
Oh and here is our little flower patch. We started these babies from seeds and look at them now. I am excited for them to look like actual flowers...
Here is the side view of the garden. From the top going clockwise we have: pumpkin- this now takes over all the garden practically. Any ideas? Is it okay to just cut him down a little? I am afraid he won't let all the other plants grow; tomato 1- he is bigger and better already, like I said a whole 6 tomatoes, WOOHOO; tomato 2 didn't make it for very long, it was supposed to be a cherry tomato but died a week after being transplanted (Mike transplanted it :) ); yellow crooked neck squash- he's little but coming along, see the flower?; zucchini- yum; cucumber- this guy is just growing away too but hasn't had as much flower action as the rest on the plants; okra- heck yes I can't wait for this stuff to come! it actually seems to be doing pretty well and has really pretty flowers; basil is below it; canteloupe- between the pumpkin, cucumber, and canteloupe the garden floor is seriously covered, its also had a lot of flower action, keep those green thumbs crossed; lemon basil- this is now a full on bush, any ideas/recipes?; there is a parsley and a sage plant hidden behind the lemon basil; and last but not least yellow bell peppers- it looks pretty much the same as what it does in this picture. I am not really expecting much from it. Oh and not pictured is our very small, barely making it strawberry plant. It is between the two step stones behind the okra. I don't really expect much from it either, but it could surprise me, right?

So I know I haven't posted in a while but aren't you a little impressed? Oh and a big thank you to Michael for clearing off my computer so I could download pictures once again. It was quite a feat with our external hard drive but Michael put up a better fight. Thanks babe.

4 comments:

Lisha said...

Yay! A post! Oh my gosh, Avery is the cutest thing, I am so jealous of her hair. Come on Kena's hair, I know you can do it! Any of the vines (pumkins, cucumbers, cantaloupe) you can grow on a trellis, thus not taking over your garden: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg0318151630966.html
http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/info/Vegetables/vines.asp
or just do a search for trellising vegetables.
Looks great!

The Happy Haynie Family said...

Wow gardening and sewing...what else? I am impressed! I wished that I had started a garden in the spring...oh well maybe next year.
Avery is such a sweetie. Love her! :* (that's a kiss for her)

Beth said...

I'm impressed! We didn't do a garden...actually, I've NEVER done a garden... maybe next year?

sam and brittney said...

I am soo impressed with your garden! I had no idea you had such a green thumb! Avery is adorable! She is getting soo big and her hair is soo blond! I just called you but you didn't answer. But call me b/c I need your address so I can send you a baby announcement.