Thursday, March 19, 2009

Avery vs. Chicken Broth Can

I was hurrying to get ready to go to my aunt's to clean, and I got into the fridge and Avery decided that she needed to be in it too. So instead of fighting her I just let her look in the fridge and went on making sandwiches while talking to Lacey on the phone. About 10 seconds later I heard Avery scream and turned around and saw Avery on the ground with a can of chicken broth. I guess she carried it and tripped and Avery got this:The can didn't even have a dent so I guess the can one. After to calls to grandmas to figure out what to do, we went to the pediatrician office and they looked at it and agreed (thanks goodness, I felt like a paranoid first mom) that Avery needed stitches. They put some numbing gel on it and then bandaged it up. She HATED it but finally fell asleep.
She got a 20 minute nap in and then they woke her up and strapped her down! I was surprised that she didn't freak when they strapped her but it was a different story when the doctor came up and rubbed iodine on her cut and then put sterile over her face so she couldn't see. Add the nurse holding her head down to one side and she was absolutely not having it.
I wanted to take pictures while the doctor was stitching but I felt insensitive to pull out the camera as my daughter was screaming her head off. I was afraid that my doctor wouldn't be too happy about that, so here is the post-op :) (hopefully this is the closest to post-op we will get)!
Here is the two little stitches! 15 months and stitches... what a mom. Look at that sad little tear on her other cheek.
She has been a little more sensitive today but other than that she has been mess-making, story-telling, (stuffed)puppy-loving, chia-excited Avery. Thank heavens for modern medicine.

13 comments:

Kim Mayfield said...

Stitches are never an easy thing for a mom to have to sit through. The first time one of mine had to have them, I fell apart. Now as we drive through town, Josh can point out several places he has been to get stitches!

Hope Avery recovers quickly!

Cari said...

So, I totally teared up reading this post. I don't know how you held it together. Poor Avery! But I gotta say, she can pull of stitches and still be insanely adorable.

mattyanddeidre said...

Oh, poor girl, how sad. I wish I could just give her a big hug right now.

Lisha said...

It just makes me think of that pediatrician who said that her teeth weren't chipped when they cut... you bad mom! J/K. I think I still take the bad-mom-cake with Kena's accident, so don't feel bad. It happens to all of us!

sam and brittney said...

Poor Avery!! She looks soo cute and sad in all the pics!!

Lindsi said...

It's very sad that she got hurt but freaking hilarious that they strapped her down. That picture made my life! Ha!
Am I an insentive bia or what?

Beth said...

Poor little girl! That just breaks my heart. Give her lots of luvs from me and Addie and Jarom.
PS. what is alisha talking about- the chipped teeth? I'm very curious now...

Laney said...

my goodness I love that picture of her all wrapped up.It is hysterical. The contraption is amazing. I think I need one for when I wipe Henry's nose.

Carly A said...

Beth- One of Avery's front teeth is chipped and my old doctor let me know that it did not come that way.

The Happy Haynie Family said...

My poor baby!! I wish I could kiss her booboo all better...

Lacey Freeman said...

so i absolutely love the second to last picture! poor baby...im glad she is all okay now! me and ave will be stitches twins now. :) (from when i got them when i was her age...)

Em Levy {orange + barrel} said...

Oh poor Avery! That little blue thing just kills me! The pictures are adorable though!

Debbie said...

I know Taylor would freak if she had to be strapped down like that! Poor Avery! Don't give yourself such a hard time though-- accidents happen, and Avery is going to be just fine.