Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Ode to Avery

Today we have hit our 6 week mark! Apparently baby life is supposed to get easier from here. To tell you the truth, baby life has been pretty easy with Avery. In all the books I read the "easy " baby fits Avery to a T. She has been sleeping 3 to 4 hours since the third day I brought her home and I haven't had to stay up in the middle of the night with her because she always goes right back to sleep after I feed her (I am probably jinxing myself and tonight is going to be awful). During the day she is happy until she needs to eat and take a nap but she wakes us happy again. Evenings is her fussiest time but even then its a squawk here or there. She fits into mine and Mike's life perfectly, we couldn't have asked for anything better. She is healthy, happy, and so darn cute. I can't get enough of her. This is Avery this evening, she is in her fussy state because she was ready for a little nap. Kiara came over tonight so we were able to spend time with her. She is holding Avery who is taking a break from crying and about to muster out another cry.
And here is her little cry. It is so sweet. She is so quiet and just so sad when she cries. It is adorable. Then after a while she gets mad and loud. We didn't make her get to that point tonight. But look at that cute face, it makes you want to give her kisses all over!

Avery LOVES baths. She loved her first sponge bath at the hospital and she absolutely loves taking real baths. She will be crying and when you put her in the water she stops. One of our favorite things to do is take baths together. She just sits on my legs and we talk and sing and relax. Isn't she so pretty! I love her big blue eyes.

Avery also LOVES to cuddle and go to sleep. This was two Sundays ago and we were wiped out. She is such a good little cuddler! I love her little body next to mine and to hear her little breaths. She is so loveable!

Avery has been getting SO big. Last week we went in to the doctor because she had a mild eye infection and they weighed her and she was 11 lbs and 12 oz! I can't believe it! Everyday she just grows more and more. Her thighs and her arms are getting so chubby! I look at old pictures and she just looks so small and I start freaking out that she is just too big and before we know it she will going off to college (Mike rolled his eyes). When I put her on the bed though I realized how small she was and I have plenty of time to mother her (Avery will probably roll her eyes at this in 16 years...).
I just LOVE being a mom and having such a sweet little girl. I can't imagine my life without her now. She is so fun. My favorite time with her is right after she has a good feeding and is "milk drunk" because she will do these huge smiles that let me know she is truly happy. She is becoming really sociable now. When I talk to her she looks at me and usually smiles a big cute grin. I love it and I love Avery. Happy 6 weeks baby!

7 comments:

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

I so clearly remember feeling EXACTLY that way when Kelly was born! You love all your children, and love that newborn stage so much with each of them, but there is just something really neat and special about the first....it's just you, the sexycoolfabulous man you married, and this absolutely amazing gift-baby. Enjoy this time of your lives...it truly is magical! CHEERS!!! =)

Lacey Freeman said...

She is so cute. I love the picture of her about to get in the bath. She is darling. I love the headbands too!! I can't wait to meet this little girl!!!

By the way, Happy Birthday! LOVE YOU!!!

Cari said...

Noah was a lot like Avery, just content to be loved and generally happy with life. I remember people telling me to hang on for the 6 week mark and things get drastically better. And, for me, it did. Breastfeeding was better and Noah started sleeping thru the night at around that time. Life was good.

I love reading your thoughts on motherhood. Even though Noah is only 9 mos old it is crazy how you can forget stuff and reading yours and Beth's blogs reminds me. Thx!

Beth said...

Isn't this wonderful Carly? I was thinking today and realized how truly happy I am and how blessed I am to have this gift!

Lisha said...

So sweet! And, you didn't jinx yourself, cause wasn't that the night she gave you her 'birthday present' of sleep?!! I love the bathtime picture, too, she has some beautiful eyes!

The Happy Haynie Family said...

I remember 23 years ago having these same feelings! Happy Birthday and by the way it does go so very fast...that is why you have to have lots of kids and then they give you lots of grandkids and you can keep it going and going!!!

Debbie said...

I think Avery looks a lot like Addie in the bathtime picture. Taylor was pretty good in that she usually would go right back to sleep after I fed her when she woke up at night. The problem was that waking up every 2-3 hours at night got really old- FAST, and it was pretty much that way until she turned a year old almost. She sleeps all through the night now- thank goodness!

I miss the little naps with Taylor. I used to be able to get her to fall asleep next to me, but now I just have to take advantage of every moment that she's asleep so that I can get things done!